Uniform arrangements from September 2017
Why do we have an academy uniform?
We believe that the new uniform will play a valuable role in contributing to the positive ethos of our academy, setting an appropriate tone.
- It enables students to wear clothes appropriate for working in safe and aspiring environment.
- It clearly signals our high expectation of students and our strong work ethic, instilling pride in the school.
- It protects children from social pressures to dress in a particular way, nurturing cohesion and promoting good relations between different groups of students.
- It helps students to prepare for their futures in the world of work, where dress codes are usually expected.
- Our uniform is used to identify us in the local community and the students wearing it reflect the academy motto of Making a Positive Difference.
Our new uniform is available from Uniform Direct. Uniform Direct, 54-56 Humberstone Gate, Leicester, LE1 3PJ, 0116 2511844
Our uniform is:
- Grey suit blazer from Uniform Direct
- White shirt/blouse
- Grey suit trousers from Uniform Direct
- Grey kilt skirt from Uniform Direct
- A tie with the Rushey Mead logo available from Uniform Direct
- Black shoes or completely black trainers.
- An outdoor coat is allowed during bad weather. However, this must be removed when arriving for lessons, the assembly hall, in the dining room, etc. The coat should be in addition to, not instead of, the school blazer.
These items are also allowed:
- Plain black or grey head scarves or head coverings worn for religious observance.
- Girls requiring further modesty are able to wear black leggings or trousers under the long kilt skirt.
- Earrings no larger in diameter than a 10p piece.
- A single nose stud (permission letter required to wear a nose stud in PE). The academy’s preference is for no other facial piercings. If a student has any other piercings then the academy will decide whether they are acceptable.
Year 11 students are permitted to wear the old uniform which is still available to purchase from The Schoolwear Centre - 40 Humberstone Gate, Leicester. Uniform is available for purchase at their shop, over the phone (0116 2518082) and through their website.
Turbans - Turbans should be secured with small pins.
Adherence to the 5 “Ks”.
Following Amrit, practicing Sikhs may adopt “Panj Kakkaar”.
Karra – The steel band should not be heavy, wide or have sharp edges and it should be tight fitting. It is advisable, for health and safety purposes, that it is held in place by a sweatband during activities such as Science and PE.
Kirpan – The Kirpan should only be worn by practicing and initiated Sikhs who have taken “Amrit”. The Kirpan must be sheathed and kept out of sight at all times. The blade must not be more than three inches in length and the Kirpan should not be more than six inches in length in total, including both the blade and handle.
Arrangements for PE and other physical activity will have to be discussed and a solution arrived at which enables health and safety guidance for PE to be met. This may take the form of a smaller kirpan being worn in the turban for example.
Kanthi Mala – This necklace of beads is permitted, providing it is worn loose enough to concealed under the school uniform but not so loose that it creates a Health and Safety risk.
Student PE Kits
We are offering an alternative PE top to students in GCSE/BTEC PE/Dance purchased directly through the LISS website. The top has the school logo on it as well as the student’s name printed on the back and can be purchased for £15. This is a completely optional extra top.
Cut-off date for orders is 28th April 2018.
|Black polo shirt with logo|
|Black shorts with logo OR plain black jogging bottoms|
|Tracksuit top with logo (advisable for winter activities)|
|Trainers for outdoor PE|
|Trainers/plimsolls for indoor PE|
|Long sleeve black/red reversible top (compulsory)|
|Short sleeve black & red polo (optional but recommended for summer activities)|
|Black tracksuit top (advisable for winter activities)|
|Plain black joggers (advisable for winter activities – no logos or stripes)|
|Plain black football socks|